Re: LONGDESC Wiki Page

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007, Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:

> there is an embryonic page located at:
>
> http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/LongdescRetention

If I could encourage people to put the issues in terms of what the
problem is (rather than what solution is desired), that would be really
helpful. I have updated the issue template to try to encourage this.

The headers and summary pages also suffer from this problem -- they are
written in a way that implies the problem is the lack of headers="". But
adding headers="" is not the problem, it's the solution. The problem is
presumably something about not being able to determine how data cells and
header cells are related.

By phrasing the issues in terms of the problems we're trying to solve,
that is, in terms of the use cases for end users and authors, we will
hopefully distance ourselves from the various technical proposals, which
will allow us to figure out the best thing without being too closely
invested in a particular technical solution to be properly objective.

Cheers,