Re: Dates in HTML 5

From: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:26:29 +1000
To: "Karl Dubost" <karl@w3.org>
Cc: "Thomas Broyer" <t.broyer@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org

On 6/29/07, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> wrote:
> If you can convince people to change, then why not requesting an ISO
> date time format, more than an american one?

I'll second that - MM/DD causes confusion here. ISO dates confuse a
lot of people too but are at least an international standard and as a
bonus they work in as expected when sorting (as strings).

ISO 8601 has some flexibility in its syntax, why not be explicit and say W3CDTF?

This would be consistent with datetime formats in other languages, for example:
1. XML Schema: http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/#nt-dateTimeRep
2. Dublin Core: http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/#date