Re: Dates in HTML 5

From: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 19:26:29 +1000
To: "Karl Dubost" <karl@w3.org>
Cc: "Thomas Broyer" <t.broyer@gmail.com>, public-html@w3.org

On 6/29/07, Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org> wrote:
> If you can convince people to change, then why not requesting an ISO
> date time format, more than an american one?

I'll second that - MM/DD causes confusion here. ISO dates confuse a
lot of people too but are at least an international standard and as a
bonus they work in as expected when sorting (as strings).

ISO 8601 has some flexibility in its syntax, why not be explicit and say W3CDTF?
http://www.w3.org/TR/NOTE-datetime

This would be consistent with datetime formats in other languages, for example:
1. XML Schema: http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/#nt-dateTimeRep
2. Dublin Core: http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/#date