Re: what must be done to expose longdesc? [was Re: fear of "invisible metadata"]

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 10:12:54 +0100
To: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>
Cc: Maurice Carey <maurice@thymeonline.com>, HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>, wai-xtech@w3.org

Gregory J. Rosmaita wrote:
> the key is that the UA should support LONGDESC natively, and
> allow the user a set of choices about exposing LONGDESC:
>
> * expose in new browser instance
> * expose in new browser tab
> * expose inline (insert content as object)
> * expose inline through the use of IFrame
> * expose the contents of the longdesc document in a side-bar,
>   aligned with the image it describes

Thanks for the list Gregory. I agree that the UA should support the
LONGDESC natively, however I would take a rather constraint based
approach to how it is rendered. It may even be best if it were just
automatically read out by the screen reader say for example after the
alt text.

Another possibility is to multipurpose @alt so it also doubles up as a
LONGDESC. So you have one attribute that you can use for both purposes
as required?

Josh