Re: SURVEY: Release "HTML 5 differences from HTML 4" as a W3C Working Draft? formal decision

On Jun 27, 2007, at 15:42, Sylvain Eliade wrote:

> Le Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:56:48 +0300, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> a
> écrit :
>

>> On Jun 27, 2007, at 14:50, Sylvain Eliade wrote:
>>
>>> But I'm reading this list since march and I never read any mail
>>> about this. And I can't find any details about the drop in the
>>> draft or when I search in the messages of this list.
>>>
>>> Maybe I missed something ?
>>
>> http://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Alists.whatwg.org+accesskey
>
> Thanks !
>
> I didn't thought of searching on whatwg archives, sorry.

Sorry about my terse reply.

> But it didn't helped me to understand clearly why it has been dropped.

Off the top of my head: It has all sorts of problems. It isn't very
discoverable for users. It is hard to find modifiers that don't mask
OS or browser shortcuts. It is hard to give advice on discoverability
in content in a way that makes sense with various OS/browser
combinations. So far there has been no solution to how to specify it
in a device-independent way. What makes sense on a French laptop
keyboard (digits behind modifiers) doesn't make sense on a phone
keypad (only digits as first-class) and vice versa.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi