Re: SURVEY: Release "HTML 5 differences from HTML 4" as a W3C Working Draft? formal decision

From: Sander van Lambalgen <w3c@have-skill.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 13:25:45 -0500
To: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Henri Sivonen wrote:
> Off the top of my head: It has all sorts of problems. It isn't very
> discoverable for users. It is hard to find modifiers that don't mask
> OS or browser shortcuts.

Note that Gecko-based browsers have changed the meta-keys needed to
toggle accesskeys to no longer conflict with browser shortcuts. The new
combination is even less discoverable for users, but once known,
provides for (afaik) completely conflict-less use of accesskeys in web
applications.
I'll agree that accesskeys aren't universally useful, or the most
well-thought out feature in HTML, but I think that the use they have
(and that they're being put to quite frequently in a wide variety of web
sites/forums/applications) is enough that they should be re-instated in
the HTML 5 draft. (I'll argue that formally and complete with
wiki-mentions in due time if no one beats me to it.)

Cheers,
Sander

--
Sander van Lambalgen   * Have Skill Webdevelopment
http://have-skill.com/ * "Have Skill, Will Travel"