Re: Author-friendlier definition of <object> (was Re: fear of "invisible metadata")

Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
> Now that I understand what is meant, "nested browsing context" seems a very
> good description :) That leaves the challenge of how to phrase it so that
> more authors will easily understand it without needing such an elabroate
> explanation.

I don't think we need to dumb down the language in the spec for authors
in this case.  It's a spec, not a tutorial.  Technical terms are fine,
particularly in sections that are aimed more at implementers than authors.

It's defined in the "Web browsers" section, which clearly states

http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/#web-browsers

> "Embedded web page" would work

No, it wouldn't because you would have to define what a "web page" is in
that context, it's definition would have to be equivalent to that of
browsing context.

| A browsing context is a collection of one or more Document objects,
| and one or more views.

| A view is a user agent interface tied to a particular media used for
| the presentation of Document objects in some media. A view may be
| interactive. Each view is represented by an AbstractView object. Each
| view belongs to a browsing context. [DOM2VIEWS]

(The window object is the AbstractView in browsers)

> Does "browsing context" truly mean something else than "web page"?

Yes.

> Is "web page" too vague for UA implementors?

Yes.

> Does the spec already define "web page",

No.

> and if so, as something else than "browsing context"? Or is it just a matter
> of the mindset of the reader that defines which phrase is  understandabler.

The term "web page" is sufficiently understood for the way it is used in
the spec.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/