Re: About dropping the style attribute

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:10:16 -0700
Cc: public-html@w3.org, www-style@w3.org
To: Jens Meiert <jens.meiert@erde3.com>

Jens Meiert wrote:

>> I've realized now that the current spec drops the style attribute for
>> all elements except for the <font>, but I can't understand the
>> reasoning behind those decisions.
>
> And neither do I, and according to my experience as well as the
> discussion on that subject there are several cases why we need to
> keep the "style" attribute.

Some of the common JavaScript libraries use this for performance and
consistency reasons, too. Prototype, for example, uses the [style] to
toggle style values for a couple reasons. 1) So it doesn't have to
override !important styles, and 2) because when checking the
displayed state, performance of getAttribute is much faster than
getComputedStyle.

James