Re: addition or subtrraction? [was Re: dropping longdesc attribute]

On Tue, 2007-06-26 at 12:02 -0500, Laura Carlson wrote:
> > Elsewhere on the survey page we see:
> >
> > 'A "no" vote in this survey is a formal objection.'
> >  -- http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/htmlbg/
> >
> > So each of the 'no' votes is a formal objection.
>
> Thanks. What seems to be confusing is that in the W3C Process Document it says:
>
> "In the W3C process, an individual may register a Formal Objection to
> a decision. A Formal Objection to a group decision is one that the
> reviewer requests that the Director consider as part of evaluating the
> related decision (e.g., in response to a request to advance a
> technical report). Note: In this document, the term "Formal Objection"
> is used to emphasize this process implication: Formal Objections
> receive Director consideration. The word "objection" used alone has
> ordinary English connotations." [1]
>
> For clarification, does the above statement apply to the 4 'no' votes?
> Did the Director give the 4 'no' votes due consideration or is the
> passage above superceded by the WG charter statement that you cited
> [2] so that the power of consideration is relegated to the HTML5 WG
> Chairs? Or maybe the 'no' voters would have had to register (in some
> other manner) a formal request to have Director consideration?

The Director considers formal objections later, when we ask
to advance to Candidate Rec or Proposed Rec.

And yes, this applies; those 4 objections will be noted
in any request we make to advance to CR/PR (unless they
are withdrawn between now and then).