Re: "placeholder link"

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 02:34:50 +1000
To: Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
> At 09:19 +1000 UTC, on 2007-06-25, Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> The extra a element is often useful as an
>> extra hook for styling in practice.
>
> I don't see how that's a valid argument. Surely we already have span for that?

This issue basically comes down to two options.

1. Leave <a> without attributes undefined and forbid it.
2. Give it a somewhat useful definition and let authors use it.

The spec currently goes with option #2.  Why would option #1 be better?

Also, it does get used on the web.  I have used it myself on various
sites over the last few years.

> let's have the spec define that UAs must treat <a> as <span>.
> <a>content</a> must not be presented as a link in UAs' default style
> sheets.

The spec will define the rendering based upon the way it is handled in
current UAs.  Thus, it will not be rendered like an ordinary link.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/