Re: "placeholder link"

On 25 Jun 2007, at 0951, Sander Tekelenburg wrote:

> At 16:09 +0200 UTC, on 2007-06-25, Simon Pieters wrote:
>
>> We can define the semantics for elements.
>
> Right. But let's be honest, when you need to read someone else's
> HTML, seeing
> <a> doesn't exactly immediately make you realise that it means <span>.

That's beside the point as <a> does not mean the same thing as
nothing to point it at". The fact that it is treated similarly to

The current draft of the spec provides an example of where this would
be useful. The reference links currently have gibberish in their
@href because the section they point to does not yet exist. Where a
link placeholder element available, the UA would not lie to the user
(implying a non-existent resource exists) and the HTML source would
still indicate that the references are intended to be links.

> HTML is not for UA consumption only.

True. But I don't see how defining <a> as a "link placeholder" would
harm a human's comprehension of the document.

> [...]
>>>
>>> How?
>>
>>     menu a { display:block; border:solid; }
>>     menu a:link { background:lime; }
>
> menu * { display:block; border:solid; }
> menu a:link { background:lime; }

It seems to me that 'menu a' would be a clearer statement of the
author's intent than 'menu *', at least to a human reader of the CSS.

Scott.