Re: About dropping the style attribute

On 6/23/07, Patrick Garies <pgaries@fastmail.us> wrote:

> Craig Francis wrote:
> > Considering that most CSS files are not generated by a server side
> > scripting/programming language, how would you generate dynamic styles
> > without the @style attribute?
> DOM2 Style: http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Style/
> CSSOM:
> http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/csswg/cssom/Overview.html?content-type=text/html;%20charset=utf-8
>
> You can also use "document.createElement()" to generate "style" or
> "link" elements.

as for this, I guess it would be practical to deprecate the attibute
from the HTML side without deprecating it from the scripting side.
scripting *needs* to use the style attribute on specific elements
given it's dynamic nature, but i can't see why allowing further mixing
of content with presentation would help. AFAIK, deprecating doesn't
mean not supporting it's usage by UAs, but it gets more as
discouraging it's use amongst both authors and WYSIWYG tools.