Re: Choosing name for XML serialization (Was: Re: HTML5 differences from HTML4 editor's draft (XHTML5 and XHTML2))

Hi Ian,

Sure, but that's the easy bit. It's simply a decision about whether
deprecating something means that it should no longer be supported or
merely regarded as bad practice. You can take it both ways though;
whilst I recognise the motivation for indicating that user agents
should still support 'old' features, it's not a completely smooth
approach. As we all know, a big problem for authors is that they tend
to code HTML (and CSS) through trial and error, and the approach of
HTML 5 will continue the confusion relating to what is
browser-specific and what is in the spec.

(One way out of this is for browsers to have two modes--one for
developers and one for deployment. It's the latter mode that needs to
be the most forgiving.)

But anyway, what about the other side of the equation? What about
authors who use 'video' in a document, which finds its way to an older
browser? There is nothing that can be done here within the language--a
problem for both HTML 5 and XTML 2.

Regards,

Mark

On 25/06/07, Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Julian Reschke wrote:
> >
> > Ahem. How can you say it's compatible if - for instance - a widely used
> > feature like the style attribute is removed?
> >
> > What am I missing here?
>
> There's a distinction between what is conforming (what authors are allowed
> to do) and what is supported (what browsers are required to do). Just
> because authors are (say) not allowed to use the align="" attribute on the
> attribute, that it would not work. And indeed, in the "rendering" section
> of the HTML5 specification we will be describing all manner of things,
> possibly including things like <marquee>, align="", etc. That section is
> still not done.
>
> --

  Mark Birbeck, formsPlayer

  mark.birbeck@x-port.net | +44 (0) 20 7689 9232