Re: Choosing name for XML serialization (Was: Re: HTML5 differences from HTML4 editor's draft (XHTML5 and XHTML2))

On Mon, 25 Jun 2007, Mark Birbeck wrote:

> But anyway, what about the other side of the equation? What about
> authors who use 'video' in a document, which finds its way to an older
> browser? There is nothing that can be done here within the language--a
> problem for both HTML 5 and XTML 2.

<event-source>) are designed in such a way that they have a fallback
mechanism. This mechanism can be used to display alternative content for
legacy UAs, in the same way that <object> has always had a way to fallback
to alternative content; or it can be bypassed by script solutions, for
example Google has implemented <canvas> in script so that it can be used
with IE6 and IE7 despite their lack of <canvas> support.

The less radically new features -- e.g. all the new form controls,
legacy UAs they will still be usable, just less feature-rich.

There is a lot that can be done to design a language's new features in a
backwards-compatible way. It is difficult and careful work, but it is
possible, and HTML5 goes to great lengths to ensure that it uses such
techniques throughout. Several features have been designed and then
removed from HTML5 after flaws in the fallback behaviour were pointed out.
We have in fact been ruthless about ensuring this. Several of my favourite
features were removed because we couldn't find a way to do them in a
backwards-compatible way.