Re: relevance of diverse HTML authoring practices [was: Versioning re-visited ...]

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 00:55:53 -0700
Cc: HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>
To: Karl Dubost <karl@w3.org>

On Jun 24, 2007, at 7:35 PM, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Le 25 juin 2007 à 08:47, Maciej Stachowiak a écrit :
>> If I understand your proposal correctly, it is to have a
>> specification for what browsers should implement, and then a
>> separate real HTML5 that is completely uninformed by the browser
>> specification. It seems to me, then, that this second
>> specification would be an excercise in pointlessness, since by
>> design browsers would not support it, and therefore content would
>> have no reason to follow it.
>
> Hmm the way I understand it.
>
> * HTML Parsing for browsers is good, very good. And everyone
> understands it now. I think most Web designers understood this part.
> * At the same time Web developers/designers are asking for clear
> semantics of simple HTML tags with a strict serialization.
>
> Both are not incompatible at all, and that would be a nice compromise.
> It is what is proposed in most cases.
>
> Browsers consume HTML.
> Web developers produce HTML.

Sure, and that's why HTML5 includes conformance requirements for both
consumers and producers, and the requirements for producers are more
strict. The poster I was responding to said that they spec for
producers should not be in any way informed by the spec for
consumers, which seems like a bad idea.

Cheers,
Maciej