Re: About dropping the style attribute

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:56:51 +0200
To: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, "Craig Francis" <craig@synergycms.com>
Cc: Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo <amla70@gmail.com>, "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 11:15:01 +0200, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>
wrote:
> Also sprach Craig Francis:
> The style element, when scoped to its parent, will be able to do this
> -- and more -- but it is more verbose.

The problem with the style= attribute, as opposed to the <style> element.
Is that it encourages media specific style sheets. As the media for the
style= attribute is automatically "all". It also does not allow for
alternate style sheets. The <style> element in HTML5 handles both. Having
said that, I don't really care strongly either way.

> Finally, there's much content out there that uses the 'style'
> attribute and the cost of keeping it is lower than the cost of
> removing it.

User agents will be required to support it.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>