Re: About dropping the style attribute

From: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:11:52 +0200
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, Craig Francis <craig@synergycms.com>, Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo <amla70@gmail.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>

Anne van Kesteren wrote:

> The problem with the style= attribute, as opposed to the <style>
> element. Is that it encourages media specific style sheets. As the media
> for the style= attribute is automatically "all". It also does not allow
> for alternate style sheets. The <style> element in HTML5 handles both.
> Having said that, I don't really care strongly either way.

You're not using the right word. A "problem" widely used by millions
of people and present in tens of millions of web sites is not a
"problem", it's a "solution".

I spent the ten last years of my life fighting against all fanatics
wanting to get rid of this attribute. I spent the last 5 years telling
the same to the XHTML2 WG. Seems I should continue for a while...

</Daniel>