Re: Versioning re-visited (was : mixed signals on "Writing HTML documents", tutorial, etc.)

From: Craig Francis <craig@synergycms.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:18:33 +0100
Cc: public-html@w3.org
To: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>

On 21 Jun 2007, at 19:07, Thomas Broyer wrote:
> But browsers are not coded towards HTML 2.0, there are coded as "tag
> soup" parsers, and they evolve as HTML evolves (and sometimes in
> divergent ways). So validating against HTML 2.0 brings you almost
> nothing apart from a) self-satisfaction b) knowing that your SGML tool
> still work in the exact same way as before (modulo bug fixes).

I think the argument is that, with versioning, it IS possible for the
browser to render the pages differently.

At the end of the day though, if my websites start failing the
validators, without me making any changes, then that makes me no
different to a lazy assed FrontPage developer... the sort who uses
tables for layout, and has no idea what a <p> tag is.