Re: Versioning re-visited (was : mixed signals on "Writing HTML documents", tutorial, etc.)

From: Stephen Stewart <beowulf@carisenda.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2007 19:53:00 +0100
Cc: HTML Working Group <public-html@w3.org>
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>

On 21 Jun 2007, at 16:57, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:

> [...]
>>  * Authors of Web pages merely copy-and-paste the boilerplate text
>> at the    moment, so the shorter and simpler we make it the
>> better; the more we    make the boilerplate change from year to
>> year the more difficulty    authors will have adapting.
> As Gregory J. Rosmaita <oedipus@hicom.net> wrote elsewhere :
>> 1. poor authoring practices should NOT sway or inform our decisions
> I for one am not the least bit interested in helping to design
> a markup language for those too lazy to think : authors who merely
> "copy-and-paste the boilerplate text" should /not/ be the target
> of our efforts;

Maybe you're making a wider point which is lost to me (I use
boilerplate and I'm too lazy to think about that) but how does
shortening the doctype & making it simpler, or even getting rid of it
and the <html> tags for that matter, make any difference to the
quality of what we do here or what authors do with the final spec?

Stephen Stewart