Re: dropping longdesc attribute

From: Ian Hickson <ian@hixie.ch>
Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 08:58:13 +0000 (UTC)
To: Steven Faulkner <faulkner.steve@gmail.com>
Cc: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, "Denis Boudreau (WebConforme)" <dboudreau@webconforme.com>, HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, laura.lee.carlson@gmail.com

On Sat, 23 Jun 2007, Steven Faulkner wrote:

> Why is it that you have access to data ((Source: Unpublished Google
> internal survey of several billion pages conducted in September 2006.)
> from an unpublished survey that you can quote seletively to back up your
> arguments against the inclusion of accessibility related attributes, but
> other members of the group who are trying to argue for their continued
> inclusion cannot draw on and interpret the same data for the benefit of
> thier arguments?

He asked me for the data on IRC. Feel free to catch me (Hixie) on IRC when
I'm at work and if I have the data I can provide it.

> Why not provide access to the data to all members of the working group
> rather than pulling out selective results to benefit a particular
> argument?

For commercial reasons, I can't publish the raw data. Some of the
sanitised data from earlier studies is at:

   http://code.google.com/webstats/index.html

...but it's long overdue for an update. I'll see what I can do. It would
be cool if other members of the group with similar resources could publish
similar studies; relying on just one set of proprietary numbers that have
been sanitised for public consumption is certainly better than nothing but
it's a far cry from ideal.