Re: Choosing name for XML serialization (Was: Re: HTML5 differences from HTML4 editor's draft (XHTML5 and XHTML2))

From: Ben Boyle <benjamins.boyle@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 12:26:56 +1000
To: "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>

> The plan is to charter a completely new HTML group. Unlike the previous
> one, this one will be chartered to do incremental improvements to HTML, as
> also in parallel xHTML. ... It will work on HTML and xHTML together.

http://dig.csail.mit.edu/breadcrumbs/node/166

There ya go, just call it "xHTML" with a little x.
Personally I think W3C need to decide if HTML and XHTML are the same
language, or represent a variant/fork. The names and version numbers should
reflect this. Maybe it really would best to do away with "XHTML" anything
and just use HTML5 (and it can be HTML or XML syntax).