wiki gardening around versioning/doctypes issue

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 12:17:55 -0500
To: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

In another thread, I see discussion of versioning that
seems to be starting from scratch.

Please let's take advantage of the discussion we've had
so far.

In the wiki issues list (http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML )
we seem to have a "DOCTYPEs and versioning" issue;
the wiki topic name seems a bit odd, but there it is:
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/DocTypes02

I just spent a few minutes linking particularly relevant
messages:

[[
Noteable messages include the following (the arguments therein should be
abstracted above):

      * Version information (was Re: HTML5 vs HTML6) L. David Baron Thu,

      * Versioning and html(5) from Chris Wilson 12 April; follow-up
        from Henri Sivonen with test case.

      * If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the
        doctype Maciej Stachowiak (Tuesday, 17 April)

      * Re: HTML version issue summary? David Hyatt (Wednesday, 25
        April)
]]

Please help abstract the arguments in these messages and
the threads that followed.