[A11y] requiring alt Re: fear of "invisible metadata"

From: Charles McCathieNevile <chaals@opera.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 03:44:31 +0200
To: "Maciej Stachowiak" <mjs@apple.com>, "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>
Cc: "Lachlan Hunt" <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>, public-html@w3.org

On Tue, 19 Jun 2007 03:08:53 +0200, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
wrote:

> ALT should not be required either. It leads to pointless alt="" on
> images that have no reasonable text equivalent, just to satisfy
> conformance checkers. And that is actively harmful, because AT can't
> tell the difference between a semantically null image and a semantically
> meaningful image with no text alternative.

So if it were not required, you would have alt="" on things that need no
text, alt="useful information" on things that are useful information, and
nothing on poorly authored content which may or may not need an alt
attribute?

The approach we took in ATAG 1 was to require noting that the absence of
alt is an error, but also require that no default be generated, which is
in line with this thinking...

cheers

Chaals

chaals@opera.com    Catch up: Speed Dial   http://opera.com