Re: fear of "invisible metadata"

From: Joshue O Connor <joshue.oconnor@cfit.ie>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 21:17:30 +0100
To: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Cc: "Gregory J. Rosmaita" <oedipus@hicom.net>, public-html@w3.org

> From the WCAG Samurai [1]:
>
> | # You have more than one way to explain the purpose of data tables

That does not make sense. The summary attribute does explain the purpose
of the table to a blind screen reader user and although there are other
ways to get this information across, it is pretty much fully supported
by most UA's and expected by many savvy screen reader users. Basically
it works. A sighted user can just look at a table to find out what it is
all about, a blind user needs hard coded features like @summary to
assist them. It works well I don't suggest changing it.

> there is no reason
>> | to require the use of the summary attribute, which, by specification,
>> | is hidden from anyone who can see, including persons with
>> | disabilities.

How is it hidden? For a blind user the entire web is hidden, this is why
we have semantics for UA's to hook onto to reveal the content to the
user. Maybe I am missing something but the above sounds daft. Its like
saying <h1> and <h2> are hidden, which in a sense they are, so we don't
require them.

> | #  Guideline 5.5: The summary attribute, by specification, cannot be
> | manifested visually.

It doesn't have to be, unless as Gregory mentioned earlier it is
envisioned that the information could be of use as reusable meta-data
and re-purposed for some other reason.

Josh