Re: care with empty/template wiki topics [was: some thoughts on ...]

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 11:38 -0500, Laura Carlson wrote:
> On 7/5/07, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

> > > Okay, I've started justification pages* for them in the wiki and added
> > > links for them to the issues page [1]. The framework is now there.
> > > [1] http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML
> >
> > Thanks for following up, but let's not make empty/template pages.
> > Would you please delete the ones with nothing novel in them?
> > I'll try to help.
>
> Isn't this framework a useful start for us to begin to justify the
> differences between HTML 4 and HTML 5?

Not obviously. It took me quite a while to find any novel
information among the blank/template pages...
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/AddedAttributePing

It seems likely that one justification will
apply to multiple attributes/elements; organizing the justification
as design principles and requirements (and perhaps use cases)
makes more sense to me at this point. I don't like to invest much
in templates/frameworks until *after* it is shown to work well
several examples.

I find the examples in ProposedDesignPrinciples such this
one pretty appealing:
"Don't Reinvent The Wheel
Example: contenteditable= was already used and implemented by user
agents. No need to invent a new feature."
 -- http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ProposedDesignPrinciples

An index into the design principles/requirements by attribute/element
is perhaps worthwhile.

I'm open to various organizational structures at this point. But
let's not make empty template pages. They just clutter things up.