Re: SURVEY: Release "HTML 5 differences from HTML 4" as a W3C Working Draft? formal decision

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 05 Jul 2007 11:40:49 -0500
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Cc: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

On Thu, 2007-07-05 at 17:24 +0100, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:
> Thank you for the clarification, Dan :
>
> Dan Connolly wrote:
>
> > (b) I expect the first release of the HTML 5 spec
> > after a review by this WG over the course of this
> > month (see
> > http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Jun/0282.html )
> > but I don't expect that release to address many of the
> > issues that come up during that review. Addressing those
> > issues is likely to take 6 months or more, and it's not
> > reasonable to wait that long before a first release.
> >
> > (c) I encourage work on design principles meanwhile;
>
> Would you not agree that we cannot meaningfully review
> the HTML 5 draft specification until we have agreed the
> design principles ?

I think review such as...
"This is part of my detailed review the parsing algorithm. ..."
 -- http://www.w3.org/mid/0CE5DE0B-269A-493D-ACE8-FC337EBFBFF7@iki.fi

is quite meaningful and need not wait until we
have agreed on design principles.

Concurrent iteration is a bit chaotic, but a strict
waterfall approach seems like a poor use of available resources.