Re: handling fallback content for still images

On Jul 4, 2007, at 8:50 PM, Jon Barnett wrote:

> On 7/4/07, Robert Burns <rob@robburns.com> wrote:
>
> IE, would of course be difficult to test, though I believe there are
> ways to fool it into processing XHTML as XML.
>
> One way is it to server XHTML as text/xml, and put <xsl:template
> match="/"><xsl:copy-of select="."/></xsl:template> in an XSLT
> stylesheet.
>
> Using this method, IE7 shows the fallback content next to the
> "missing image" icon and also next to the rendering of an actual
> image.  Firefox, OTOH, doesn't show the fallback content at all.
>
> If you're interested in my test page:
> http://www.websandbox.net/media/examples/ietest.xml

Disappointing. Safari too shows the fallback content along with the
image. Firefox and Opera (on Mac OS X) do the right thing though.
When IE (ir?) adds easy XHTML support, perhaps they can have that
fixed. Then we're set for xml serialization anyway (presuming we can
get Safari bug fixed too).

BTW, you're serving that as application/xml (not text/xml). I
wouldn't expect the results to differ for text/xml, but they might.
application/xml is the preferred MIME type and text/xml is deprecated
(or it should be).

Take care,
Rob