Re: handling fallback content for still images

From: Thomas Broyer <t.broyer@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 09:17:39 +0200
To: public-html@w3.org

2007/7/5, Robert Burns:
> > http://www.websandbox.net/media/examples/ietest.xml
> Disappointing. Safari too shows the fallback content along with the image.

Same result with Safari 3.0.2 for Windows.

> Firefox and Opera (on Mac OS X) do the right thing though.

Not for me (on Windows).

Firefox ( doesn't show the first image nor its fallback
content (nothing at all, as if it weren't in the page)

Opera (9.21) shows "Image" in a "box" (i.e. missing image without
@alt) for the first image (i.e. rich fallback isn't displayed)

> When IE (ir?) adds easy XHTML support, perhaps they can have that fixed.

They probably won't. XHTML (i.e. application/xhtml+xml) on the web has
failed, that's why we're here discussing HTML 5 (because it means
XForms on the Web has failed too).

Eventually serving XHTML as application/xml could work but a) you have
to provide a full-fledge CSS stylesheet (browsers don't use their
"default stylesheet for HTML" in this case) and b) at the cost of
losing "support" for non-XML-aware browsers.

Thomas Broyer