Scope, implied end tags, another scope check (detailed review of parsing algorithm)

From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 09:41:32 +0300
To: "public-html@w3.org WG" <public-html@w3.org>

(This is part of my detailed review the parsing algorithm.)

For some elements the spec says:
> If the stack of open elements has an element in scope with the same
> tag name as that of the token, then generate implied end tags.
>
> Now, if the current node is not an element with the same tag name
> as that of the token, then this is a parse error.
>
> If the stack of open elements has an element in scope with the same
> tag name as that of the token, then pop elements from this stack
> until an element with that tag name has been popped from the stack.

I can't figure out you one might get the stack in such a state that
the "generate implied end tags" step changed the situation so that
the second "If the stack of open elements has an element in scope"
found a different node than the first "If the stack of open elements
has an element in scope".

Am I right? If yes, it would make sense to write this is a way that
doesn't suggest that implementors search the stack twice.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi