RE: User Testing of Accessiblity Features

At 09:43 +0100 UTC, on 2007-08-30, Alastair Campbell wrote:

> Tighe K. Lory wrote:
>> An example would be a stockphoto of a person ...
>> Putting in alt text would just clutter up what the screen reader says, and
>> I think make the site less useable.
>
> And my colleague Léonie would argue that if the image conveys something
>(even "just" emotive), then she would like to know it's there and what it is
>supposed to represent.

It's not that black and white. It depends entirely on what the author means
to convey. When a picture of a plate with food is meant to convey "food",
then an equivalent should not say "steak with carrots and 'tater salad" as
that wouldn't be an equivalent. It would in fact be harmful.

In that sense I'm still not so sure about Gregory's example of a detailed
description of a flag (even including its history) in cases where the flag is
only used as an icon indicating a language.

--
Sander Tekelenburg