Re: Review of 3.15.1. The table element

From: Philip Taylor (Webmaster) <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 18:31:43 +0100
To: gonchuki <gonchuki@gmail.com>
CC: public-html <public-html@w3.org>

gonchuki wrote:

> A conformance tool could at least check the number of DOM nodes inside
> table cells and raise a warning if above certain number. I mean, may
> be a span or two are ok for visual formatting, but above that
> threshold the conformance tool should raise a warning telling the
> author to check that tables are not used for layout.

On balance, I think a toning down is justified.  If a conformance
criterion is not amenable to pass/fail validation, it should be
re-expressed as a desideratum, with perhaps a (shared) footnote
to the effect that it may be upgraded from "deprecated" to
"disallowed" when AI has developed to the point at which its
usage can be reliably detected by a programmable validator.

Philip TAYLOR