Step 10 of Feed/HTML sniffing (part of detailed review of "Determining the type of a new resource in a browsing context")

From: Geoffrey Sneddon <foolistbar@googlemail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:37:20 +0100
To: public-html@w3.org

Step 10, as of writing, is an unresolved issue: "If, before the next
">", you find two xmlns* attributes with http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-
rdf-syntax-ns# and http://purl.org/rss/1.0/ as the namespaces, then
the sniffed type of the resource is "application/rss+xml", abort
these steps. (maybe we only need to check for http://purl.org/rss/
1.0/ actually)"

The first, and most obvious issue, is that RSS 0.90's namespace
(<http://my.netscape.com/rdf/simple/0.9/>) should be an alternative
for RSS 1.0's here.

Secondly, testing current browsers, I've found that Fx2, Op9.22, and
IE7 require both the RDF and RSS namespace to be present. Saf3/Mac
requires just the |rdf:RDF| element.

I'm yet to come across any site that breaks in Saf3 (if Saf2 used the
same feed/HTML hysterics, I haven't had a single site break since May
2005) due to this sniffing, so I'm in favour of just putting |
rdf:RDF| within the above table with a sniffed type of "application/
rss+xml" (which is simplest solution to this issue).

- Geoffrey Sneddon