Re: HTML Design Principles Review

On Thu, 2007-08-16 at 08:55 -0700, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've started reviewing the various feedback on the HTML Design
> Principles draft <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/
> DesignPrinciplesReview>. Here's my plan for organizing review:

Hmm... I thought you were going to enumerate
existing outstanding feedback.

In particular, I got the impression you knew about specific
cases of feedback you could cite, rather than a blanket...
> 4. Search the mailing list for past feedback and record it.

I just went over the http://www.w3.org/2002/09/wbs/40318/dprv/ survey
with Chris Wilson and updated it w.r.t the
draft of 2007-08-16 12:26:51 in the wiki
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ProposedDesignPrinciples?action=recall&rev=89

I was just about to issue the survey when I discovered your recent
work in CVS. Now I'm not quite sure how to proceed. I'm going
to think it over for just a bit; maybe you can phone me or
contact me by IRC?

I'd like to think that a survey in parallel with your work will be
useful.

> 1. Cleanup of existing draft. I started by removing the disputed
> section.

I don't see it in
http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ProposedDesignPrinciples . Oh...

http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/html5/html-design-principles/Overview.html?rev=HEAD
1.4  2007/08/16 15:39:50

that started as a copy of the wiki as of Jun 26; I gather some
useful changes have been made since then, though I'm struggling
to find exactly which ones.

>  I will also make some minor changes for grammar cleanup and
> such.
>
> 2. Create wiki page for collecting feedback. I put a new page on the
> wiki here for collecting feedback <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/DesignPrinciplesReview
>  >. See below for how to best provide feedback.

I think a survey is a more efficient way to gather information about
the level of _support_ for principles as well as critical feedback
on them.

> 3. Remove content from existing page <http://esw.w3.org/topic/HTML/ProposedDesignPrinciples
>  > and classify it on the feedback page. I will drop parts of that
> page where the relation to the design principles document is unclear,
> or where there is no justification for the suggested change.
>
> 4. Search the mailing list for past feedback and record it.
>
> 5. Make changes in response to feedback. In some cases I may start an
> email thread to gather opinions on a certain point.
>

> How to provide review comments:
>
> I will do my best to track down the existing review feedback on the
> wiki and in email. For new feedback please do the following:
>
> - Send a message to <public-html@w3.org> with [HDP] at the start of
> the subject line. I might miss emails in other threads that offer
> design principles review, but I'll make sure to look at everything
> marked [HDP].
>
> - Please make sure your message contains the following:
>      a. Which principle or principles you are addressing (or none, if
> your comment is about introductory text or the like).
>      b. What change you would like made.
>      c. The reasoning behind your change.
>      d. Whether your request is in your opinion an editorial change, a
> substantive change (changes the meaning of the principle
> significantly), a request to drop one of the principles in the draft,
> or a request to add a new principle to the draft.

That's always good advice.

> - Before suggesting to remove a principle, please try to find ways
> that it could be re-worded to remove your objections to it. I would
> rather fix the principles we have now than throw them out, if possible.

That presumes a critical mass of support for the principle
before the suggestion. Perhaps we're at that point, but I'm
inclined to do the survey to confirm.

> - Before suggesting to add a principle, please try to make sure your
> request isn't covered by existing principles.
>
> - Optionally, link the resulting discussion thread on the wiki in the
> appropriate section with a summary of arguments for and against.

Which part of the wiki do you mean here?