Re: Marking up links to alternative versions of content

At 13:14 +1000 UTC, on 2007-08-04, Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
>> At 10:30 +0300 UTC, on 2007-07-31, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>>>   * Prima facie, I trust software performing the selection for me
>>> based on said labeling even less.
>>
>> Do you not trust your anti spam filter? Do you not trust your browser to
>> block pop-ups?
>
> Spam filters and popup blockers don't work by by looking for explicit
> labelling by authors.

Fine, so my comparison wasn't perfect. None ever are.

The essence of Henri's argument was about not wanting to trust a tool to make
(overridable) decisions. I pointed out that in reality, we all do use tools
to do the boring repetitious work for us. (And override when it's worth the
trouble.)

Yes, Henri's "trust based on labelling even less" is relevant. But once it is
established that we all *do* rely on tools making decisions for us, that puts
the "even less" in perspective. It shows that the argument is less strong
than it may appear to be.

I don't dismiss the argument of authors lying through "invisible metadata".
Just saying that that problem appears to be given more weight than seems
appropriate.

--
Sander Tekelenburg