Re: HTML version issue summary?

From: Matthew Ratzloff <matt@builtfromsource.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:48:24 -0700
To: <public-html@w3.org>

> On 4/28/07, Preston L. Bannister wrote:
> Note that as a developer writing applications for the web, I very strongly
> agree with the hard line.  Versioning to opt-in to changes in behavior is
> essential. This judgment comes from the experience gained from years
> (decades) of shipping multiple versions of multiple applications, and from
> insight gained in talking to customers.
>
> What works in practice is different from what might work in theory.  This
> is
> one of those lessons learned from experience ... and requires a bit of
> not-entirely-obvious insight.
>
> So the Microsoft folk are not alone in this judgment.

Instead of citing your years of experience (which are relevant, but not an
argument in and of itself), please counter the argument for a "bug mode"
with actual examples and points of disagreement.

If you absolutely want to link your product to the then-current browser
version, why not pre-emptively include:

...or serve the equivalent HTTP header?

-Matt