Re: Proposing <indent> vs. <blockquote>

Dão Gottwald wrote:

> Mike Schinkel schrieb:
>>
>> Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis wrote:
>>> Other than in Mike's own work, I can't recall ever seeing <blockquote>
>>> misused for indentation in social media. Can anyone point to some
>>> recent (say past 6 months) examples of this in the wild?
>> #1 -
>> http://mindblogging.typepad.com/my_weblog/2007/04/i_just_might_ne.html
>> #2 -
>> http://www.radicalgeorgiamoderate.org/2007/04/10/the-vernon-jones-circus/
>>
>> #3 -
>> http://spaceygreview.blogspot.com/2007/03/atlanta-woman-refused-emergency.html
>>

> These look like quotes to me. If that was the intent, fine. If it
> wasn't, the problem would be that the styling conflicts with the
> actual meaning, and <indent> wouldn't solve that,
What are they quoting?

If #1 is quoting, she is quoting herself.  If you believe that to be the
case then you must take to the logical conclusion that <p> elements are
quotes as well, because they are quoting themselves too.

As for #2, you just looked at it quickly, you didn't actually read the
article it was linked to. It was a summary, not a quote.  (And yes, a
<summary> element would be better than an <indent>, but what default
presentation will it have?)

As for #3, I don't see how you can view that as a quote, please
explain.  Honestly, from context I can't figure out what exactly this
would be categorized as except something the author wanted to indent,
which would argue for <indent>.  That said, can any better categorize
this use?  Event?

> as it still would be misinterpreted (at least by me).
What would you misinterpret it to be? In my proposal <indent> would
carry no meaning at all.

--
-Mike Schinkel
http://www.mikeschinkel.com/blogs/