Re: Proposed requirement: specification should provide enough detail to handle Web content

From: Dailey, David P. <david.dailey@sru.edu>
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2007 18:50:20 -0400
To: <public-html@w3.org>

On Fri, 27 Apr 2007 10:32:07 Dan Connolly wrote:

A few years ago I stumbled upon a sort of fractal voting
idea by John McCarthy; I have always been curious to
see how it works in practice.
http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/politics/voting.html

Me too. I believe a number of developments in areas such as token-passing in social topologies and zero-knowledge proofs could provide interesting areas for investigation into alternatives to the technological support of large scale distributed real-time decision making (while minimizing discontent) -- maybe for future discussions. What fun!

Since McCarthy's paper has been around for a good long while now, I wonder what attempts at refining or implementing it there have been. I rather doubt that any systems have been sufficiently tested to meet the careful scrutiny of this group. Seems like I saw a Communications of the ACM article on "reinventing democracy" in the last year or two. Dan, it also seems like I saw some pointers in some of the links you have made recently to W3C initiatives on decision making. I went looking but didn't find them in a first pass.

cheers,
David Dailey