Re: [public-html] <none>

Maurice writes:

> Also, Iıd like to point out that Iıve only been validating my html for
> about 3 years. Itıs not difficult to write valid code

It's difficult if you don't know that such a thing exists, which
probably applies to most people encountering the web.  It's very natural
to write something based on what you see already out there, try it out
in your browser, and if it appears to work to you, presume you're doing
it right.

> If people continue to promote and educate others about standards then
> by the time thereıs actually a final HTML5 spec and actual HTML5
> browsers ... then we may not have to worry as much about the
> possibility of the majority of authors still writing horrible broken
> code when creating new content.

Couldn't somebody have said exactly the same thing about XHTML1.1 or
XHTML2 n years ago?  It doesn't seem to've happened.

And anyway, that's only newly created content; much content is already
out there and isn't going to get recreated.

> The majority of future content is going to be either web applications
> themselves or the output of web applications.

Is it?

> C++, .net, php, ruby, python, etc etc etc developers work very hard to
> write the least broken code they can come up with.

Do they?

> Itıs the right thing to do.

I'm sure you wouldn't be satisfied with a browser that hid all
non-validating content from you with the message "You aren't permitted
to see this, because it hasn't been done in the right way".  Therefore a
browser needs to do something.  What's the harm in having a document
that specifies what that something should be?

> But going forward, authors should strive to write perfect code

They should.  Authors should also strive never to make spelling or
grammar mistakes.  Still, some of them don't; and some of them strive to
but still fail from time to time.

Smylers