RE: About the Web Forms 2 proposal -- from a proposed design principles point of view

On Thu 4/26/2007 3:29 PM Anne van Kesteren wrote:

>Web Forms 2 has taken as much features from XForms as possible to the
>extend that it is feasible to integrate the XForms features in a model
>that needs to be compatible with deployed HTML content and HTML
>implementations.

Let me see if I might practice responding to this in a way that seems like it may become appropriate once our "design principles"  cease to be guildelines and become instead our "design manifesto." ...just to see if I can practice using these things in a way consistent with their apparent purpose. Let me be very literal, just for fun.

I see from the above that you are petitioning for a variance from the "don't reinvent the wheel" aphorism, for the reason that it is impossible to get there without a new kind of wheel.

I am then compelled, when presented with any such petition for variance to ask "does it break the web?" It appears below that you believe the burden of proof lies with prospective detractors rather than with proponents:

>This is why I think it would be useful if the people who prefer XForms
>Transitional because Web Forms 2 doesn't meet the architectural goals of
>XForms clarify what changes they would like to see made to Web Forms 2
>that would bring it closer to those goals.

Given that other XMLand other web technologies have come to depend on XForms, what impact, if any, would HTML's variance from the zoning ordinance have that might cause deterioration of the neighborhood? An ISO 14000 approach would probably require that an environmental impact statement be lodged concurrently with the nonconforming proposal. Have all other WG's been properly notified of your intent to deviate from the aphorism? Has proper time been allowed for a response? Have all concerns of all affected stakeholders been addressed to the satisfaction of said stakeholders? If not has form 7328Z been filed?

Is that how the design principles will work? Frankly, I'd prefer a whole lot less formality, than I fear the "manifesto" may promote. Let's try an alternative approach:

 Anne, you're a smart and, I think, trustworthy person. In your opinion will stuff that goes on in Webforms 2 cause grief to anything I need to do in SVG? Or to anything else web-ish? I believe SVG's current spec has a few promissory notes in it about stuff that is likely to be provided by Xforms. If you tell me it doesn't affect SVG or other things, then I can go back to my gentle repose.

regards,
David