Re: HTML version issue summary?

From: Chasen Le Hara <chasen@chasenlehara.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 19:37:52 -0700
To: public-html@w3.org

Dave,

On Apr 24, 2007, at 7:02 PM, David Hyatt wrote:
> You would still have to worry about older browser versions even
> when HTML5 support started to emerge.  If you only care about
> browsers that fully support HTML5, then you'd just use the HTML5
> doctype/version and let versions of IE that haven't opted in using
> the doctype switch get your "older HTML4" version (along with older
> versions of Safari, Firefox, etc.)

That's nice in theory, but what about this theoretical situation:

Write my page as HTML 5 without an opt-in. IE 7 treats it as HTML 4,
which is fine because I don't expect it to know HTML 5.

Then, IE 8 decides that it can render HTML 5 properly. It renders my
page as HTML 5.

Then, in IE 8.1, a bug is fixed, but it requires an opt-in. It'll
treat my page as if it were IE 8.

I do not want to have to deal with this; it seems silly that
standards would require this. I want IE 7 to treat it as HTML 4, IE 8
to do its best, and IE 8.1 to do its best. How would that work under
your theoretical situation? [And if I'm being dull, please just
emphasize what I missed; I'm really trying to think this through.]
-Chasen