Re: HTML version issue summary?

From: Dão Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 03:33:14 +0200
To: David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>
CC: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>, public-html@w3.org

David Hyatt schrieb:
> (2) I think it's poor design not to include specific version numbers to
> identify which spec an author wrote the content for.  Even if we never
> use the version number for anything, even if alternative browsers
> support HTML5, even if the doctype says HTML3.2, etc., it's still good
> language design to identify the specific language version.

Where's your reasoning? A product without a consumer doesn't seem so
useful to me. There are all kinds of healthily evolving languages
without version information tied to the content. HTML in feeds, CSS,
PHP, English.

> (4) I think IE's opt-in should be independent of DOCTYPE until such time
> as they are confident that they have HTML5.0 fully implemented and
> supported.  Then one could imagine the doctype being used as the opt-in.

That's what I claimed for some time now. The result was that I was first
called naive and then ignored.

Note that according to (4), that doctype could be <!DOCTYPE html>. If
HTML 5 is "fully implemented and supported", there won't be a problem
with using the very same doctype for HTML 6.

--Dao