Re: HTML version issue summary?

On Apr 24, 2007, at 6:21 PM, Maciej Stachowiak wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2007, at 6:16 PM, David Hyatt wrote:
>
>> Versioning is like a vendor-neutral opt-in hook.  Browsers can
>> then use their own opt-in hooks and use the vendor-neutral hook
>> once they are confident in their compliance with the spec.
>> Theoretically IE might do something like this with my proposal:
>>
>> IE 8 ships with partial HTML5 support, uses custom opt-in #1
>> IE8.1 ships with more complete HTML5 support, uses custom opt-in #2
>> IE9 is the point where MSFT decides they've nailed it, now they
>> use the HTML5 version as opt-in #3
>
> Are you proposing that IE8 and IE8.1 should not treat content that
> had the HTML5 doctype but no custom opt-in as HTML4.01?

Er, too many negatives there. Let me phrase this as a question. Under
your proposal, how should IE8 or 8.1 treat content with the HTML5
doctype but no IE-specific opt-in hook? Should it treat it strictly
as HTML4.01? If so, then I think the problem below applies:

> That would require every HTML5 document on the web to include the
> IE-proprietary opt-in, even if they didn't depend on IE quirks.

Although to be fair, this would only be the case for HTML5 documents
that depend on HTML5 features which don't exist in IE's HTML4.01
implementation.

Regards,
Maciej