Re: Formal definition of HTML5 (was Re: Version information)

Daniel Glazman schrieb:

> On 15/04/2007 13:50, Henrik Dvergsdal wrote:
>
>> Is it possible to specify all  machine-checkable criteria in XHTML5
>> by means of:
>>
>> A RELAX NG schema which refers to
>>
>> 1. A datatype library
>>
>> 2. A set of formal rules, specifying, for instance, table integrity
>> requirements
>>
>> ?
>>
>> If not, what else do we need?
>
> Let me give you an example : an ordered list contains one or more list
> items but what should an editing tool do when the user inserts a "blank"
> list ? A list with one blank item ? With two blank items ? With one item
> with a predefined text node ? [...]
> To be sure about it, just answer this simple question : what is an empty
> HTML document ?

We don't want to specify the path to conforming documents, do we? Both
an empty list and an empty document are just the first step for creating
complete ones. Whether you start a list with one or two elements, with
empty or non-empty text nodes, can be left to the tool; it doesn't
matter for the conformance of the resulting document.

--Dao