Re: The argument for |bugmode| (was Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype)

From: Lachlan Hunt <lachlan.hunt@lachy.id.au>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 22:26:53 +1000
To: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
CC: public-html@w3.org

Matthew Raymond wrote:
> Lachlan Hunt wrote:
>> In other words, once IE ships with support for <html bugmode="IEn"> (or
>> whatever syntax), *all future standards compliant pages* will be
>> *unconditionally required* to use that switch and keep it updated forever!
>>
>> That cannot be considered, in any way whatsoever, an interim solution.
>> It is a *permanent* solution that we do not want.
>
> I just want to note that the way you are using |bugmode| is not as I
> defined it.

I'm aware of that and I fully agree with making bugmode an opt-out
instead of an opt-in, it was just a useful example attribute.

Note that I explicitly referred to Chris Wilson's plan when describing
the scenario.  See his response [1] insisting that the default be frozen
at HTML5 mode, not the latest standards mode available.

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/1139.html

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/