Re: The argument for |bugmode| (was Re: If we have versioning, it should be in an attribute, not the doctype)

Dão Gottwald wrote:
> Matthew Raymond schrieb:
>> | <!DOCTYPE html>
>
> I'd like to hear from other vendors if they would find that useful.

They have already stated previously that they do not want versioning
(see the archives).  The bug mode switch will be IE only.

> So far, I believe IE would be the only browser using that, and only as
> an interim solution,

I want to make it clear that Microsoft's current proposal does not allow
for it to be an interim solution, it will be a *permanent* solution that
we will be forced to use.

The fact that Chris Wilson wants the default to be a specific legacy
mode in the absence of such a switch is the problem here.  Basically,
one of first few HTML5 modes that they ship will become the default for
all time.

 From that point onwards, the bug mode switch will be *here to stay* as
the only way to opt-in to the latest standards mode, and there will be
absolutely nothing that anyone, not even Microsoft, will be able to do
about it.

In other words, once IE ships with support for <html bugmode="IEn"> (or
whatever syntax), *all future standards compliant pages* will be
*unconditionally required* to use that switch and keep it updated forever!

That cannot be considered, in any way whatsoever, an interim solution.
It is a *permanent* solution that we do not want.

> thus it shouldn't be part of the specification.

Actually, in the above scenario, it would have to become part of the
spec simply because authors will be required to use it, despite it being
a UA-specific opt-in that the spec really shouldn't support.

This is why I am pushing so hard for the default to be always-standards
mode.  It absolutely must be the default so that this really can be an
interim solution for IE, not a permanent solution for everyone.

--
Lachlan Hunt
http://lachy.id.au/