Re: Proposal to Adopt HTML5 (progress on recruiting editors)

From: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 20:39:52 -0700
Cc: HTML WG <public-html@w3.org>, Håkon Wium Lie <howcome@opera.com>, Brendan Eich <brendan@mozilla.org>, "L. David Baron" <dbaron@dbaron.org>, David Hyatt <hyatt@apple.com>, lbolstad@opera.com
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>

On Apr 18, 2007, at 8:30 PM, Dan Connolly wrote:

> Perhaps there's a time and a place for open discussion
> of the objections, but actually, I hope it doesn't come
> to that; they're not technical in nature. I prefer to
> focus on the options for going forward.
>
> A number of parties have expressed concerns only to the chairs,
> and as appointing editors is the job of the chairs*, the
> obligation to share their concerns more widely is much less
> than with technical decisions that the WG makes.

I think it is completely inappropriate for the chairs to make
decisions on behalf of this group based on secret discussions with
individual parties. If objections are made in secret, those who
disagree have no opportunity to rebut them. Such secret discussions
certainly violate the spirit of the charter

> * "Every technical report published as part of the technical report
> development process is edited by one or more editors appointed by a
> Working Group Chair."
> http://www.w3.org/2005/10/Process-20051014/tr.html#DocumentsGeneral

Does this mean that the chairs plan to decide on the editor(s)
themselves, rather than letting the group decide?

Regards,
Maciej