Re: A Concrete Example for the HTML Versioning Debate

On Tue, 17 Apr 2007, Jeff Schiller wrote:

> Now I know that my example is probably pretty contrived, but at least
> in this instance, it seems there is no way, as Ian says in [7] to
> "absolutely ensure that HTML5 is compatible with all today's content"
> because different browsers did different things and "today's content"
> may have relied on one browser or the other browser's behavior.

But does it? That's what matters. Is there content today that _relies_ on
the "_parent" value being ignored when placed inside an <object>?

If not, then we can change the behaviour safely. If there is, then Firefox
and Opera are likely breaking those pages, and we should change the spec.

> So ... if I'm an author of a web page that depends on the deployed
> behavior of IE7- today and IE8+ changes its behavior to match HTML5 by
> default (no opt-in), then my web page is broken.  Even if the IE7-
> behavior was wrong (a bug), HTML5 still broke my web, right?

The first "if" is the operative word here. If you are, then yes. But are
you? Is anyone? That's the important question.