Re: Non-goal for HTML: Picture-perfect rendering

From: Dailey, David P. <david.dailey@sru.edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 22:56:12 -0400
To: <public-html-request@listhub.w3.org>, <public-html@w3.org>

On Tue 4/17/2007 10:28 PM Karl Dubost wrote:

>Would you consider that the authoring part is irrelevant?
>I'm not saying it is bad, just looking for use case scenario on how =20
>it is difficult or not for authors to produce a graphics.

Here's a use case for how easy (or not) it is to create graphics using JavaScript without either <canvas> or <svg>. Click on the "concatenate" button (in the example) to compare time efficiency of different bitmap-like objects in different browsers.

http://srufaculty.sru.edu/david.dailey/javascript/stringtimer.html

This was actually built to contrast under-the-hood string-concatenation algorithms in the different browsers rather than to make real images, but to make a long story short, creating a 100px x 100px bitmap-like object in Opera, IE and FF takes a maximum of about 700 milliseconds using the fastest of the three algorithms exhibited on a three year old computer.

David
(Incidentally, the message from Karl looked very weird in my inbox)