Re: Formal definition of HTML5 (was Re: Version information)

On 17/04/07, Dão Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de> wrote:
> So the WHATWG draft is indeed incompatible with what user agents do
> today, and HTML4 content isn't necessarily compatible with the WHATWG
> draft, right?

All valid HTML4 is valid HTML5 from what I can see. Not all valid
HTML5 is valid HTML4. HTML5 allows a TFOOT to be placed after all
TBODY children of the table while in HTML4 the TFOOT has to be before
all TBODY children.

As for always having a TBODY in the DOM tree, you're looking in the
wrong place. Look at
<uri:http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/section-tree-construction.html#parsing-main-intable>

~~~~
A start tag whose tag name is one of: "td", "th", "tr"

    Act as if a start tag token with the tag name "tbody" had been
seen, then reprocess the current token.

~~~~

That makes it interoperable with our current major browsers.
--
David "liorean" Andersson