Re: legacy of incompetence? [was: a compromise to the versioning debate]

Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo schrieb:
> 2007/4/17, Dão Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>:
>> Alfonso Martínez de Lizarrondo schrieb:
>> > 2007/4/17, Dão Gottwald <dao@design-noir.de>:
>>
>> Chris Wilson wrote, "Microsoft's problem is not what Trident can
>> support." So all it needs is 1) the decision to actually do it and 2)
>> time. Others did that before.
>
> Who did fix all the problems in just one release?

I didn't say anybody has fixed or will have to fix all bugs in a given
time frame. Instead, I said "Microsoft has to release something that
gets /close/ to the standards".
But to answer your question anyway, I had Gecko in mind.

> I don't wanna wait 10 years until MS fixes all the bugs and can
> release a perfectly HTML5 compliant browser, I want a new browser as
> soon as possible that does fix some bugs, then after a little while
> more bug fixes and so on.

Since "Microsoft's problem is not what Trident can support", I wouldn't
expect that it takes 10 years.

I personally would be in favour of multiple releases. But Microsoft
would only do that with an unreasonable amount of new rendering modes,
which is to avoid.

Oh, and would you expect another HTML version in less than 10 years?
That's what you need for another doctype switch.

--Dao