Re: Versioning and html[5]

On Apr 16, 2007, at 12:57 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:

>> The falacy is that not including the attributes somehow prevents
>> you from
>> implementing them.
>
> That's known as proprietary functionality, and we get slapped for
> implementing it.  <object> was captured in a standard.

Apparently the standard was practicing catch-and-release, because it
wasn't captured firmly enough to actually be interoperable.

>   It's a real shame to me that you all seem deathly allergic to the
> <object> tag.  It's still one of the major building blocks of the web.

The <object> tag is an interoperability disaster. No two browsers
implement it quite the same. This is in part because IE's
implementation directly contradicts the spec; in part because the
spec sanctions plugin selection mechanisms that are dependent on
specific plugin APIs rather than based on neutral identifiers like
MIME types; in part because the spec is overly vague; and in part
because it is overloaded to do too many different things, leading to
significant complexity of implementation.

It also sucks for authors. You need to insert complex magical
incantations to get things to actually work cross-browser. I don't
think it's acceptable to require authors to type things like this:

<OBJECT CLASSID="clsid:02BF25D5-8C17-4B23-BC80-D3488ABDDC6B"
CODEBASE="http://www.apple.com/qtactivex/qtplugin.cab" HEIGHT=320
WIDTH=200>
<PARAM NAME="src" VALUE="MyMovie.mov" >
<EMBED SRC="MyMovie.mov" HEIGHT=320 WIDTH=200 TYPE="video/quicktime"
PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/">
</OBJECT>

That being said, I don't think anyone wants to kill <object>; the
goal is to spec it enough to achieve interoperability. If that
requires specifying classid and codebase to match what IE does, so be
it, but I personally doubt this will aid interoperability, since many
real-world web sites deliberately target IE and other browsers
separately via invocations like the above.

Regards,
Maciej